Location: Rocklin, CA
Employee Type: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Manages Others: No
Reports to: Fleet Manager / Field Managers
Date: July 2, 2020
Summary of Functions
Diagnose and perform repairs and services on company owned and rental equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Embrace Forgen’s Core Values in all aspects of the job.
- Perform the roles and responsibilities for Field Mechanic as listed on the Accountability Chart.
- Analyze and diagnose equipment malfunctions.
- Perform preventative maintenance on company owned and rental fleet.
- Repair and troubleshoot engines, fuel systems, final drives, hydraulic components, including pumps, motors,
valves, and all related components, electrical and air systems.
- Write service reports that accurately document activities.
- Prepare required documentation including work orders, parts lists, and timecards in an accurate and timely manner.
- Perform assigned tasks in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Follow manufacturer and company service guidelines and procedures to ensure safe quality work and to preserve and document component failure information for accurate failure analysis.
- Maintain a safe working environment and observe all safety procedures, laws, policies, and rules.
- Communicate with equipment manager and field managers in a manner which promotes a positive relationship.
- Work overtime as needed and within labor law guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- 5+ years Heavy Equipment Mechanic experience.
- Knowledge of basic diesel technology, electronics, transmissions, and hydraulics.
- Ability to become forklift and boom lift certified.
- Maintain a tool inventory sufficient to perform assigned tasks.
- Possess valid Class A and maintain a satisfactory driving record or a valid Class B, with Air Brake endorsement.
- Must be able to weld, including fabrication and hard facing.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must be willing to travel to regional job sites as needed.
- High School Diploma/GED.
Ability to communicate orally with vendors, management, and other co-workers, both individually and in front of a group is important. Regular use of the telephone and email for communication is essential.
Sitting for extended period is common. Hearing, vision and speaking within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
Lift, carry and push/pull at least 50 pounds without difficulty standing, walking and bending. Good manual dexterity for the use of mechanic tools and common office equipment such as computers, calculator, copiers and FAX machines.
Good reasoning ability and decision making is necessary. Able to understand and utilize management reports, memos and other documents to conduct business.
Primarily a field position. Travel to offices and projects in various locations around the country as needed. The following physical activities or abilities are commonly, but not always, associated with field project sites and equipment yards.
- Be able to stand or walk on a project site for extended durations.
- Climb in and out of equipment.
- When on project sites or if performing some types of work activity wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including, but not limited to, earplugs, protective eyewear, gloves, hard hat, steel toed work boots, and high visibility safety apparel.
The job is primarily performed outdoors at construction sites and equipment yards and occasionally indoors in a traditional office setting.
The following environmental/atmospheric working conditions are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position. The actual working conditions will vary.
- Job Site and equipment yard environment, including, but not limited to, machines, tools, heavy equipment, chemicals, solvents, dust and fumes.
- Exposure to heat, noise, dust etc. commonly associated with Job Site and equipment yard environments.
- Occasional exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Uneven ground.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
It is the policy of Forgen to fill every position without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other basis made unlawful by applicable law. Forgen is an equal opportunity employer, and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee, including managers, supervisors and co-workers.