Employee Type: Exempt, full-time
Manages Others: No
Reports to: SVP, Business Development
Summary of Functions
The Proposal Manager is responsible for managing, coordinating and providing a hands-on contribution to the composition of the company’s competitive proposal responses and preparations for both government and commercial requests for proposals (RFP’s).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Embrace Forgen’s Core Values in all aspects of the job.
- Perform the roles and responsibilities for Proposal Manager as listed on the Accountability Chart
- Exercise full responsibility for managing complex commercial and government proposals and coordinating bid and technical SOW components in coordination with operators and/or estimating departments.
- Participate in the development and review of proposal strategies and themes, proposal capture plan\development outlines, storyboards, RFP shreds in conjunction with the capture manager/sales manager.
- Analyze the RFP/bid requirements against the proposal outline to develop proposal compliance matrices to ensure both compliance and responsiveness to the customer’s issues and needs and ensure 100% satisfaction of matrix components addressed in proposal delivery.
- Conduct and lead proposal kick-off meetings.
- Conduct regular proposal progress status meetings and maintain the proposal schedule.
- Direct writing/editing/rewriting efforts, as needed.
- Direct proposal assigned personnel, manage proposal schedules and deadlines, develop proposal outlines and compliance matrices.
- Write/edit proposal response sections and drive the progress of the proposal from inception through submissions.
- Schedule and conduct team reviews as needed.
- Steward proposal process development/process improvement initiatives.
- Conduct marketplace outreach for teaming and subcontracting opportunities per client and/or market sector business development plans.
- Utilize excellent oral and written communication skills and organizational skills in all aspects of work.
- Independently define, schedule, and manage the proposal preparation process, including understanding and analyzing the details of an RFP.
- Utilize personality and leadership skills to engage and motivate a diverse group of engineers, project managers, consultants and subcontractors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or related technical field from an accredited college or university or demonstrated equivalent.
- 5 years of experience in the engineering and construction industry preferred or related industry.
- 4 years of experience leading multi-million dollar commercial or government proposals.
- Experience working with proposal preparation and related processes.
- Strong working computer knowledge including word processing graphics, spreadsheet and database software applications, Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively among different stakeholder groups.
- Track record of successful major proposals. A working knowledge of government and military contracts, GSA and FAR is desired
- A working knowledge of commercial proposal best practices is required.
- Experience in orchestrating teaming and subcontracting relationships and team structures to help build winning team in advance of RFP release dates.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to drive on behalf of company business.
Ability to communicate orally with vendors, management, and other co-workers, both individually and in front of a group is important. Regular use of the telephone and email for communication is essential.
Sitting for extended period is common. Hearing, vision and speaking within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally may be required. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computers, calculator, copiers and FAX machines.
Good reasoning ability and decision making is necessary. Able to understand and utilize management reports, memos and other documents to conduct business.
The job is primarily performed indoors in a traditional office setting.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
It is the policy of Forgen to fill every position without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other basis made unlawful by applicable law. Forgen is an equal opportunity employer, and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee, including managers, supervisors and co-workers.