Position: Equipment Operator 1, 2 & 3
Location: Various Projects – as assigned
Employee Type: Non-exempt, seasonal
Manages Others: No
Reports to: Construction Manager or Superintendent
Summary of Functions
Operate and maintain heavy, motorized equipment used in earth moving operations in a safe and efficient manner.
OPERATOR 1: 10+ years of heavy equipment operation/maintenance experience.
OPERATOR 2: 5+ years of heavy equipment operation/maintenance experience.
OPERATOR 3: 2+ years of heavy equipment operation/maintenance experience.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Maintain a clean driving record.
- 40 Hour HAZWOPER training.
- Ability to pass mandatory post offer drug screen, background check and physical.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Participate in a drug-free workplace with a random drug testing program.
- Responsible for driving a safety culture which promotes Incident and Injury Free Performance.
- Operate heavy, motorized equipment used in earth moving operations, including, but not limited to, dozers, scrapers, loaders, excavators, compactors, etc. and other equipment to support a variety of operations.
- Excavation, grading and compaction of land surfaces using heavy, motorized construction equipment.
- Excavate soil and other material from job sites into trucks for transportation to appropriate location for stockpiling or disposal.
- Use hand-held mobile radio units to coordinate tasks and resources.
- Read and comply with safety plans, rules, maintenance instructions, training materials, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), warning tags, traffic signs and procedure manuals.
- Ability to perform other related duties as assigned..
- Operational characteristics of a variety of heavy, power-driven equipment.
- Maintenance requirements of heavy, power-driven equipment.
- Methods and materials used in general construction and maintenance work.
- Principles and techniques of field maintenance activities.
- Traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in heavy equipment operation.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
Skills and Ability
- Ability to embrace a culture of safety.
- Experience working in an environment which demands outstanding safety performance a plus.
- Operate heavy power-driven equipment.
- Perform a variety of skilled construction and maintenance tasks.
- Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ability to understand field survey markers.
- Ability to work on slopes and uneven surfaces.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely.
- Excellent customer relations skills.
- Exemplify a strong work ethic.
- Work extended hours, including evenings and weekends as required.
The following physical activities or abilities are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position. The actual requirements of this position will vary.
- Lift, carry and push/pull at least 50 pounds without difficulty.
- Be able to stand or walk on a project site for extended durations.
- Climb in and out of equipment.
The following environmental/atmospheric working conditions are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position. The actual working conditions will vary.
- Job Site environment, including, but not limited to, machines, tools, heavy equipment, chemicals, solvents, dust, fumes, noise, toxic materials; waste and infectious materials; work in inclement weather conditions.
- Occasional exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities such as heavy lifting and climbing; work in confined spaces; work at heights, work around heavy construction equipment.
- Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
It is the policy of FORGEN to fill every position without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other basis made unlawful by applicable law. FORGEN is an equal opportunity employer, and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee, including managers, supervisors and co-workers.